Verucchio

Commune in the province of Rimini, 29 km far from Riccione, Verucchio dominates magnificent the lower valley of the river Marecchia.  During the Pliocene (about 3 million years ago) the Flow of Valmarecchia raised, among others, the rocky hill on which Verucchio is clinging. On the top of that peak, between the XII and XIV century, the Malatesta erected one of their most daring fortresses, known as “Rocca del Sasso” (Fortress of the Stone). Among the geological origins of its territory and the height of its history, Verucchio was in the first Iron Age one of the main centers of the Villanovian civilization. Today the village preserves, between the old medieval walls, an architectural and museum heritage among the most important of the territory of Rimini.

The Rocca Malatestiana is the result of the integration of different architectures to a first core dating back to the XII century. There was born “Mastin Vecchio” Malatesta Verucchio, mentioned by Dante in the Commedia, the great Guelf leader who gained Rimini in 1295. By virtue of this birth, Verucchio competes with Pennabilli, the first seat of another branch of the family, for the title of Cradle of the Malatesta.

It competes instead with Gradara, Rimini, Pesaro, and other smaller localities, for the sad scene of the tragic affair between Paolo and Francesca. The fortress, fallen into the hands of Federico da Montefeltro through a clever trick in 1462, today is entirely open and the terrace on the donjon gives one of the most beautiful, wide and high views on the valley.

The Civic Archaeological Museum is located in the Monastery of the Augustinian Fathers, of the thirteenth century, and exposes the extraordinary finds re-emerged from hundreds of tombs of the necropolis of Verucchio of Villanovian-Etruscan era (dating from the IX to the VII century BC). The jewelry in gold and amber and the inlaid wooden throne are incredible. You can not miss: at the foot of the promontory the ancient Church of St. Martino of the year 994, and  in the hamlet of Villa Verucchio the Convent of the Franciscan Friars with the cypress that, according to the legend, was planted by the Holy of Assisi. Verucchio Festival and Notti alla Rocca animate the summers of the beautiful village.