Morciano di Romagna

Twenty kilometers far from Rimini, Morciano di Romagna is the commercial capital of the Valconca. Always crucial crossroad for trafficking in the valley, every year in the second week of March, it becomes the warm heart of the whole territory of Romagna with the Fiera di San Gregorio. Ancient agricultural and cattle market, since 1948 it has opened to trade of craftmade and industrial products and, over the years, to the spectacular entertainment.

The river Conca, which licks Morciano and crosses its territory, was very important for the business of the place. The numerous water mills that stood along its course were used for grinding grain. Five specimens of them remains: they are well preserved and easily accessible through a fascinating excursion into nature. The good water of the Apennini was, with intelligence and a lot of work, also used by Nicola Ghigi from Morciano that in 1870 founded the Pastificio that is today worldwide appreciated for the quality of its pasta. From the small laboratory in Ronci Street, 47 (there you can still read “Fabbrica, pane e paste salsamenteria Nicola Ghigi”), the family holding moved in the ’60s into the imposing yellow building whose high chimney has long been the symbol of Morciano. Recently demolished, and saved only partly to become seat of the utilities, the old building, for the company’s choices, has been replaced by a new plant in the neighbouring commune of S. Clemente.

Morciano is also famous as the native town of the sculptor Arnaldo Pomodoro. His work Colpo d’ala: omaggio a Boccioni in the historic center commemorates the Futurist painter of origin of Morciano. To see: Piazza Umberto I, the oldest part of the village, and, 2 km far, the ruins of the Abbazia di San Gregorio in Conca that, founded in 1061 by San Pier Damiani, saw the birth in its cloister of the ancient fair then moved to the country. In November the events Morcianantico for antiques and the Fiera dei Golosi for gourmands!